Wednesday, November 16, 2011

We All Do It

You know we do.
We stand in line at the grocery store, 
we look through the magazine racks,
we ALWAYS pick up the magazine with the 'quick' dinner ideas
RARELY do we buy them. 

Well, I bought one. 
I KNOW. 
I broke the rules. 

But this recipe made the entire purchase worth it. 

As most of you know,
I am expecting baby #2 late in February. 
I don't exactly have a ton of energy to be standing at the stove for hours.

In the Spring issue of the Betty Crocker 
115 Super Simple Recipes 
I found this: 
Looks delish, right?!?

Chicken & Pasta with Creamy Basil Sauce
Start to finish time: 30 minutes 
(MY KINDA RECIPE!)

3 Cups uncooked bowtie (obviously I used Penne) pasta
2 Cups fresh broccoli florets (I actually had this in my fridge!)
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, 
cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon garlic-pepper blend 
(of course I don't own this! I used garlic powder, garlic salt, and black pepper)
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon sugar
1 small red bell pepper, chopped 
3/4 cup Yoplait All Natural Fat Free plain yogurt 
(this is me rolling my eyes because you KNOW this 
is such a staple in my shopping list... I used low fat sour cream)
3 to 4 tablespoons chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
(I used about three teaspoons dried basil)

1. Cook pasta as directed on package, adding broccoli during last 4 minutes of cooking; drain.

2. Meanwhile, in 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. 
Sprinkle chicken with garlic-pepper blend (we discussed this!
Cook chicken in oil about 3 minutes stirring occasionally, until no pink in center
 (I cooked much longer giving the chicken a nice caramelized glaze)

3. In small bowl, mix broth, cornstarch and sugar.
 Add broth mixture and bell pepper to skillet. 
Cook about 3 minutes or until sauce is thickened. 
Stir in pasta, broccoli, yogurt (we discussed this!) and basil. 
Heat over low heat until hot - do not boil! 

Seriously this came out amazing. 
Your picky children (my two year old) will eat it. 

Enjoy!!
xo,
Jacqueline

No comments:

Post a Comment