Monday, April 4, 2011

Blogging Barefoot

My dear friend Hannah, over at Peggy Ann Design pleaded with the world to join the movement- the One Day Without Shoes movement. I have asked her permission and she has granted it - the following is from Hannah's blog, but honeslty, friends, I couldn't say it better.

Blogging Barefoot: Something Bigger Than Me

Today I will be barefoot. 
I will go through my workday without shoes, including trips to my office's bathroom and kitchen. 
I will get gas this afternoon and probably cringe as I carefully step around the spilled gasoline on the ground.
I will take packages to the post office and hopefully not get kicked out. 
I will spend One Day Without Shoes

But then tonight, I will take a hot shower and wash my dirty feet. 
I will eat a full, satisfying dinner. 
I will get a good night's rest in my own queen size bed. 
And tomorrow? I will put on my shoes and go about my day. 

I am lucky. WE are lucky. 
Children all over the world don't get the luxury of a pair of shoes. 
They deal with pain, injury, and disease as a result of the barefoot life they have to endure.
They are often excluded from school when they don't have shoes. 
This leads to a never-ending cycle of poverty and pain. 

My One Day Without Shoes may not mean much to many people. 
My two bare feet may not make a huge impact. 
But if I convince one person to try going barefoot, that makes four bare feet, and possibly a new TOMS Shoes owner. 

For every pair purchased, another pair is given to a child in need. 
A child that spends EVERY DAY Without Shoes. 
One For One. 

This movement is so much bigger than me, bigger than you.
It's bigger than any small thing we can contribute. 
It's bigger than 24 hours of bare feet. 

I am called to serve. To do for others. To give my time and my voice. 
And today?
Today I will give my feet. 


"They embody the spirit of service; a willingness to find meaning in something greater than themselves. And yet, at this moment -- a moment that will define a generation -- it is precisely this spirit that must inhabit us all."  

-President Barack Obama


I encourage you to go barefoot all day if you are able to do so. 
If you are blogging barefoot today, please link up your post below. 
Help me spread the word about the impact that a single pair of shoes can have on a child's life. 

Link up your blog post showing your bare feet! {click here to find the link up button}

I will be going barefoot. And I will be showing a photo of my nasty disgusting feet at the end of the day. Will you?

Thank you again, Hannah, for allowing me to use your words (and your feet!).

xo,
Jacqueline

No comments:

Post a Comment